|In this section . . . |
SEC Products and Papers
State/District SEC Updates
Publications Available from CCSSO
SEC Products and Papers
- SEC Brochure
- SEC Leader Development Standards
- Guide for State and Local Project Coordinators
- Costs of SEC Tools and Services
- Content Coding Procedures
- Guidelines and Procedures for Using the Surveys of Enacted Curriculum
- SEC Self-Guided Tour of Data Charts
- Intro to SEC video
- Intro to SEC ELL video
Collaborating Partner Websites
- Wisconsin Center for Education Research SEC Website
- Learning Point Associates SEC Website
- TERC SEC Website
- Council of Chief State School Officers SEC Website
- Is There a de Facto National Intended Curriculum? Evidence From State Content Standards, Andrew C. Porter, Morgan S. Polikoff and John Smithson, Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 238268, September 2009,AERA
- Alignment Content Analysis of TIMSS and PISA Mathematics and Science Assessments
- Case Study a District using SEC (Fosteria, OH) 2008, Carolyn K Eastman
- Using Data to Improve Instruction: Education Leaders Conference, Rolf Blank, 2007
- SEC Alignment Content Analyses and Applications for Educators
- Investigating the Quality of SEC Content Analyses, Andre Porter (University of Pennsylvania), AERA 2007
- Improving Teacher's Practice, Alignment as a Predictor of Student Achievement Gains, John Smithson (University of Wisconsin-Madison), AERA 2007
- Measuring Systemic Alignment of a State's Instruction, Standards, and Assessments, J. Christopher Woolard (Ohio Department of Education), AERA 2007
- Alignment as a Teacher Variable, Porter, A.C., Smithson, J.L. Blank & Zeidner, T. (2006). Applied Measurement in Education.
- Using SEC data to improve curriculum content alignment in Oregon's Canyon Falls School District: Initial Steps and Evolving Challenges, Osthoff, Eric Ph.D. (2007). Wisconsin Center for Education Research.
- Improving Instruction through Schoolwide Professional Development: Effects of the Data-on-Enacted-Curriculum Model, Rolf Blank, John Smithson, Andrew Porter, Diana Nunnaley, Eric Osthoff, ERS Spectrum Journal of Research and Information V. 24, No. 2, Spring 2006, ERS Service.
- "Place-Based Randomized Trials to Test the Effects on Instructional Practices of a Mathematics/Science Professional Development Program for Teachers," Andrew Porter, Rolf Blank, John Smithson, & Eric Osthoff, The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, V. 599, Sage Publications, May 2005.
- "Analyzing Instructional Content," WCER Research Highlights, Spring 2004.
- "Test Scores: What Can They Tell Us?" Diana Nunnaley, Hands-On, TERC, V.27, N.1, Spring 2004.
- "Analyzing Instructional Content and Practices Using Data to Improve Alignment of Science Instruction with Standards," Rolf Blank & Stan Hill, NSTA Science Teacher, January 2004.
- "From policy to practice: the evolution of one approach to describing and using curriculum data." (2004). Smithson, J.L. & Porter, A.C. In M. Wilson (Ed.), Towards Coherence Between Classroom Assessment and Accountability. The 2004 yearbook of the National Society for the Study of Education. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- "Measuring the Content of Instruction: Uses in Research and Practice," Andrew Porter, AERA Presidential Adress, Educational Researcher, October 2002.
- "Using Surveys of Enacted Curriculum to Advance Evaluation of Instruction in Relation to Standards," Rolf Blank, Peabody Journal of Education, Fall 2002.
- "Alignment of Assessments, Standards, and Instruction Using Curriculum Indicator Data," Andrew Porter & John Smithson, NCME Annual Meeting, 2002.
- "Defining, Developing, and Using Curriculum Indicators," Andrew Porter and John Smithson, Consortium for Policy Research in Education, December 2001.
- "Upgrading High School Mathematics Instruction: Improving Learning Opportunitites for Low-Achieving, Low-Income Youth," A. Gamoran, A.C. Porter, J. Smithson, & P.A. White, Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 19(4), Winter 1997. [Validation research with SEC--effects of aligned instruction on achievement]
- Measuring Classroom Practice: Lessons Learned from Efforts to Describe the Enacted Curriculum -- The Reform-Up-Close Study. (1994). Smithson, J.L., Porter, A.C. CPRE Research Report Series Report #31. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University, Consortium for Policy Research in Education.
- Using SEC Data in School Improvement, 2009 Presentation
- Leadership Training Materials
- Introduction to SEC
- SEC Online Survey Administration
- Ohio - Using Data to Help Make Decisions, 2007
- Working with SEC data: Presentation for leading and educator group that is learning to view, analyze, and interpret SEC data from SEConling.org, and to plan uses of SEC data with other educators, including materials for Report Generator activity, SEC Data Plan, and Planning Guide.
- Education Leaders Orientation: to introduce Surveys of Enacted Curriculum and discuss the uses of the data with district or school leaders
- Longitudinal Study to Measure Effects of MSP Professional Development: Study Design and Use of SEC Tools, Rolf Blank, CCSSO (2006)
- Teacher Survey Administration: to introduce Surveys of Enacted Curriculum to teachers (English language arts, math, or science) and prepare them to take the Survey (paper forms, 2004)
- Understanding Cognitive Demand PowerPoint and Workshop Outline
- SEC Collaborative Intro: (Feb. 2005) the benefits for states and districts of the SEC Collaborative project and explanation of key features of the Surveys and data reports
- SEC Alignment Analysis PowerPoint: (2005) research and development behind SEC as an alignment tool and use of curriculum measures for description and analysis, John Smithson, WCER
- Expert Training Facilitator's Guide: PowerPoint presentation template to be used in introducing SEC to your stakeholders
- Introduction to Accessing and Understanding SEC Data, Diana Nunnaley, TERC (2005)
- Describing, Analyzing and Reporting Curriculum Data: The SEC Toolbox, John Smithson, WCER (2005)
Publications Available from CCSSO
- Indicators of Quality of Teacher Professional Development and Instructional Change Using Data from Surveys of Enacted Curriculum: Findings from NSF MSP-RETA Project, John Smithson & Rolf Blank, CCSSO, February 2007.
- Examining the effects of mathematics and science professional development on teachers' instructional practice: Using professional development activity. Kwang Suk, Yoon, Michael Garet, Beatrice Berman & Reuben Jacobson, AIR, December 2006
- Surveys of Enacted Curriculum Leader Development Standards, Knowledge and Skills Expectations for Leaders of Professional Development with Surveys of Enacted Curriculum
- Overview of SEC and Applications for Education, 2005
- Surveys of Enacted Curriculum: A Guide for SEC State and Local Coordinators, 2005
- Data on Enacted Curriculum Study: Summary of Findings on Effectiveness of DEC Professional Development Model in Urban Middle Schools, 2004
- Costs of SEC Tools and Services, 2004
- SEC CD: Surveys of the Enacted Curriculum Interactive CD, 2006
- Using Data on Enacted Curriculum--A Guide for Professional Development, 2002
- Survey Instruments: Survey of Classroom Practices and Instructional Content in Mathematics, Science, and English Language Arts [Elementary, Middle, High school versions], available in pdf format on SEC-CD and on the SEC Tools page
- New Tools for Analyzing Teaching, Curriculum and Standards in Mathematics & Science: Results from Survey of Enacted Curriculum Project, 2001
- Using Data on Enacted Curriculum in Mathematics & Science: Sample Results from a Study of Classroom Practices and Subject Content, 2000
- How Is Science Taught in Schools? A Five-State Preliminary Study of Use of Enacted Curriculum Surveys in Science, 1998
- Guide for Educators on the Use of Surveys and Data on Enacted Curriculum, 1996